Weight and histopathological changes in pancreas in alleged suicide cases


Original Article

Author Details : Preet Inder Singh, Ajay Kumar, Amandeep Singh*, Dasari Harish

Volume : 8, Issue : 2, Year : 2021

Article Page : 67-71

https://doi.org/10.18231/j.ijfcm.2021.014



Suggest article by email

Abstract

Introduction: Pancreas will respond differently to stress situations, which results in histopathological changes in the gland. Glucagon and insulin are both secreted by pancreas, the former by alpha cells and latter by beta cells. Insulin may decrease during stress. These endocrine secretions enter the portal vein so that liver is exposed to high concentration of these hormones. This along with increase in its antagonistic hormones can contribute to the stressed induced hyperglycaemia.
Aims & Objective: The aim is to find and compare the weight and histopathological changes of Pancreas in suicide and non suicide deaths.
The pancreas were dissected during the autopsy from the cases with known history of death due to alleged suicide with clear history of non administration of steroids and was declared brought dead at GMCH, Chandigarh. The removed glands were preserved and fixed with 10% formalin for more than 2 weeks. After the period of fixation, grossing and section of gland was done, and slides of each subject was prepared and studied.
Results: In suicide group maximum weight is 78.2 grams and minimum is 67.3 grams. In non suicide maximum weight is 78.2 grams and minimum is 65.5 grams. The mean weight of the pancreas in the suicidal group was 71.27 grams and the standard deviation was 2.18 grams, whereas the mean weight of the pancreas in the non- suicidal group was 70.87 grams and the standard deviation was 2.63 grams. The P value comes out to be 0.41. Of the total 100 cases, only three (3%) revealed significant pathological findings and the rest 97 (97%) were histologically normal. In the study group there was one case each of pancreatic abscess, and necrotising pancreatitis. Pancreatitis abscess was diagnosed when the histology revealed focus of necrosis of the pancreatic parenchyma with dense neutrophilic infiltration. Necrotising pancreatitis showed extensive necrotising inflammation of the pancreatic parenchyma. In the control group there was only 1 case (2%), of chronic pancreatitis. Chronic pancreatitis was labelled when fibrosis of the pancreatic parenchyma with mild lymphomononuclear cell infiltration.
Conclusion: There was no significant difference between the weight of the pancreas in the suicidal and the non-suicidal group. Pathological findings were twice as common in the suicidal group as compared to the non-suicidal group.
 

Keywords: Pancreas, Suicide, Weight, Depression, Chronic pancreatitis, Necrotising pancreatitis, Pancreatic abscess.


How to cite : Singh P I, Kumar A, Singh A, Harish D, Weight and histopathological changes in pancreas in alleged suicide cases. Indian J Forensic Community Med 2021;8(2):67-71


Copyright © 2021 by author(s) and Indian J Forensic Community Med. This is an Open Access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License (creativecommons.org)



Article History

Received : 08-05-2021

Accepted : 24-06-2021

Available online : 12-07-2021


View Article

PDF File   Full Text Article


Downlaod

PDF File   XML File   ePub File


Digital Object Identifier (DOI)

Article DOI

https://doi.org/10.18231/j.ijfcm.2021.014


Article Metrics






Article Access statistics

Viewed: 70

PDF Downloaded: 43



Wiki in hindi